The Ukraine War
A survey of issues:
• Buffers/the threat of proximity in age of ICBMs and MAD
• Soft power effectiveness
• Means-end reasoning at collective/state scale; Putin’s aims
• Just wars; consistency of principles, rhetoric and realpolitik
• Third-party intervention
• Biased news. “Hear the other side”, eg Early on, western media neglected to explain Ukraine’s alleged Nazi associations.
• Is the West’s banning of RT Orwellian?
- Racism of white Europhile homophilia; co-opted anti-Brexit animus
Some controversial positions one might entertain for discussion:
• Ukraine should stop prolonging suffering and just surrender
• Putin’s creation of a neutral buffer state may have prevented WW3
• Almost anyone could commit war crimes given the right situation