A survey of issues:
• Against breeding, see Antinatalism
• Many pedigrees are bred disabled.
• Inherently exploitive and controlling.
• Unreasonable burden that a pet’s everyday existence must give you meaning in life.
• Their unmalleable character and behaviours may disappoint expectations
• Carbon footprint.
• Meeting their exercise and company needs with job/lifestyle compatibility
• How can I plan to be a sole guardian ~15 years in advance?
• Is there any way to flexibly share guardianship with soluble commitments to co-guardians or even the pet themself, while honoring my obligations to the pet?
• A pet may want a variety of carers in its lifetime.
• Rehoming old, small dogs minimises commitment…but it still takes a network of people (or another dog and a big garden) and financial independence to resiliently accommodate a dog’s needs.
PS. Cats are murder machines