• Against breeding, see Antinatalism • Many pedigrees are bred disabled. • Neutering
• Inherently exploitive and controlling. • Unreasonable burden that a pet’s everyday existence must give you meaning in life. • Their unmalleable character and behaviours may disappoint expectations
• Carbon footprint.
• Meeting their exercise and company needs with job/lifestyle compatibility
• How can I plan to be a sole guardian ~15 years in advance? • Is there any way to flexibly share guardianship with soluble commitments to co-guardians or even the pet themself, while honoring my obligations to the pet? • A pet may want a variety of carers in its lifetime. • Rehoming old, small dogs minimises commitment…but it still takes a network of people (or another dog and a big garden) and financial independence to resiliently accommodate a dog’s needs.
• Buffers/the threat of proximity in age of ICBMs and MAD • Soft power effectiveness • Escalation/bluffing/appeasement • Means-end reasoning at collective/state scale; Putin’s aims • Just wars; consistency of principles, rhetoric and realpolitik • Third-party intervention • Secession
• Biased news. “Hear the other side”, eg Early on, western media neglected to explain Ukraine’s alleged Nazi associations. • Is the West’s banning of RT Orwellian?
Racism of white Europhile homophilia; co-opted anti-Brexit animus
Some controversial positions one might entertain for discussion:
• Ukraine should stop prolonging suffering and just surrender • Putin’s creation of a neutral buffer state may have prevented WW3 • Almost anyone could commit war crimes given the right situation